Here are some more ideas from http://helpmykidlearn.ie/ this time for parents and guardians of 8-9 year olds. Children learn in so many ways in everyday life. There are lots of learning activities available too, http://www.helpmykidlearn.ie/activities/8-9 for talking, playing, reading, writing and counting.
- Listen to your child. Encourage them to tell you about things that interest them. Help your child to make decisions by discussing their ideas.
- Discuss with your child how reliable information is and whether the television, newspaper or website is trying to sell you something.
- Involve your child in everyday literacy and maths – making a list and check prices for shopping. When you are doing DIY in your house – seeing if there is enough space for a piece of furniture to fit.
- Encourage your child to enjoy reading by having a variety of books around your home – storybooks, poetry, factual books and books about topics they enjoy like animals, music and football.
- Listen to your child reading in short regular sessions. Encourage your child to read with expression. This will help them read more fluently.
- Encourage your child to write in their daily lives – birthday cards, telephone messages and keeping a diary.
- Play word games – ‘Stop the bus’ and ‘I spy’ with a letter – board games – Cluedo and Junior Scrabble and card games – Old Maid, Rummy with your child.