Here are some great ideas for family activities from The Genesis Programme’s booklet ‘Supporting Parents and Families through summer 2020. You will also find information on low cost days out, social and emotional development, mindfulness for parents and children, summer routines, managing anxiety and much, much more. See the PDF below or download it at https://flyingstart.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Supporting-Parents-and-Families-through-Summer-2020-The-Genesis-Programme-FINAL_compressed.pdf
More ideas for you and your family
- Revisiting traditional games such as draughts, chess, card games, board games etc.
- Make mealtimes a family event and involve everybody in the preparation. See our nutrition
websites at the bottom of this page for easy and affordable meals that the whole family can try. Nevin Maguire one of Ireland top chefs is also offering to send recipes out to families who get in touch https://www.facebook.com/macneanhouse/
- Maybe you could even take advantage of the time to give the garden a makeover and involve the whole family in the process. Gardening and painting is very therapeutic for parents and children alike. Connecting with nature can have a positive impact on you and your family’s mental wellbeing.
- Train to be Ireland’s Fittest Family! Whether this is by making an indoor or outdoor obstacle course or following one of the many online Fitness Expert on YouTube. Exercising together is a great way to keep the mind and body healthy. Check out the following online resources for fun physical routines that the whole family will enjoy:
- Daily PE for Children and Adults with Joe Wicks https://www.thebodycoach.com/blog/pe-with-joe-1254.html
- Super Troopers also offers a healthy homework programme that encourages an active lifestyle https://www.supertroopers.ie/
- If you have the space, try to play as many outdoor games as possible hail, rain or snow. Embrace nature and all of its elements. Frisbee, tennis, football and catch are just a few outdoor sports that the family can enjoy together.
- Get Crafty! Arts and crafts is a fun way to be kind to the planet and make use of recyclable materials. Try to be creative as possible. Having time to put on your thinking cap can result in amazing pieces of art. For more ideas of how to get crafty with recyclable materials you can visit: https://fiveminutemum.com/
- Have an old-fashioned family movie night. With the newest technology such as Netflix and Smart TV, movies may not be as special for some families as they once were. Try to recreate the excitement and try to pick some old classics accompanied by popcorn and homemade healthy pizza.
- Technology is part of our everyday life. As parents, we know that limiting screen time is essential, as too much can have adverse effects on our children’s physical and mental health. However, we can embrace screen time also and be selective about how we do this. Now organisations like Dublin Zoo are trying to reach out to families via their online platforms.
- Why not have your children learn about Feeding Time in the Zoo by following the link at http://www.dublinzoo.ie/animals/animal-webcams/
- Another similar site you can try is http://www.switcheroozoo.com/
- Listen to music as a family. Take the opportunity to share with your children and teenagers your taste in music. You never know they could love Bowie as much you.
- Encourage your children to be reflective and write just for the fun of it. Maybe they could be Ireland’s next young author.
- The well-known children’s author Sarah Webb is also running just-for-fun writing workshops via her Twitter count @ SarahWebb